The Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners (GAW) was formed in 1991 and today has over 100 members. We are a voluntary, non-profit making organisation which exists to promote woodturning in a friendly atmosphere. We meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Hucclecote Rugby Club in Gloucester and at most meetings we have a top class demonstrator.
Resuming Live Demonstrations at Hucclecote
Yes, limited live demonstrations are now taking place with Zoom running in tandem. Please note numbers are limited to maintain social distancing and will fluctuate in line with the local COVID risk, so you need to pre-book your seat, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any changes to arrangements or restrictions will be announced in the monthly newsletter which comes out after the first Wednesday of the month.
We wish all members to stay safe and healthy and look forward to seeing you all at the earliest opportunity.
NEXT CLUB MEETING will be a ‘Zoom only’ Christmas special on Wednesday 8th Dec (from 7pm for 7:30pm start) when we welcome back Randy Lopez from Florida.
(details available on ‘members only‘ page).
LAST CLUB MEETING We saw more scroll saw magic from artist Gianni Deidda and tales from his life. There will be a video of the demo available in a few days in the members only section. If anyone would like a copy of the scrollsaw plans Gianni gave us after his last visit then please contact Brian – email@example.com
It is essential that your EMAIL ADDRESS IS UP TO DATE for you to receive the latest details from the club. This will include the log on details for each zoom demonstration. The details are also posted on the ‘members only‘ web page. If you’re not receiving your monthly newsletters than please check your ‘junk’ folder and if you still can’t find them then contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners – Latest NEWS
- Sadly, Phil Hartwell, the club’s treasurer and long standing member has died. Our thoughts are with his family at this time. Members have been sent details of the Service of Thanksgiving arrangements (email on 3rd Dec) and all who wish to attend will be most welcome. Please abide by the family’s requests with respect to COVID.
- Brian Wharton has stepped up to replace Phil as Treasurer and can be contacted at email@example.com
- Dave Woolley has joined the committee and will be taking over from Brian as the membership secretary. Once up to speed he will be available at firstname.lastname@example.org
- This month we welcome Rudy Lopez as our demonstrator, all the way from Florida (via Zoom, we can’t afford the air fare!) Zoom details are in the newsletter and on the members only page. Rudy will be demonstrating ‘Square to Round Bowls, Vases and Hollow forms‘. You might remember Rudy from last December when he also demonstrated for us.
- Monthly newsletters are now available on the web site (members only).
- January’s meeting will be a Show and Tell evening hosted at the club and on Zoom.
There is a comprehensive guide to using zoom on any device here. If your device does not have a microphone or camera you can still watch – indeed you may want to turn off the camera and microphone anyway.
Alternatively, see what our members have been up to during lock-down with the Corona Gallery. If you’d like your work included in the next edition then please send some pictures and a description to Phil – email@example.com.
Have you downloaded any of these plans and turned the project?
How did it go? Can you send a photo for the gallery?
What other plans would you like to see here?
All plans are on the ‘free project plans’ page.
Please let us know.
The Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners ‘WhatsApp group’ is administered by Graham Ricketts, if you would like to be part of this group then Graham can be contacted via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 07436 009288.
Members only page now has Chestnut finishing school information, not a complete list but pretty comprehensive.
Frampton Country fair September 2021
GAW proceeds from the Fair raised £456 for the Cotswold Prostrate Cancer Charity
BEGINNINGS IN TURNING
When Mike was still working five years ago he asked his daughter for a woodturning lesson as a Christmas present but then changed his mind, deciding it wasn’t such a good idea while he was still working. So instead she brought him a year’s membership for the Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners (GAW) and he has never looked back.
Want to know more then read the full article, click here ;- A Turning Journey
Toolite of Mitcheldean are one of GAW sponsors and offer all GAW members a discount of up to 10% on selected products. Please check prior to purchase. Take your membership badge as proof of GAW membership.