The Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners (GAW) was formed in 1991 and today has over 100 members. We are a voluntary, non-profit making organisation which exists to promote woodturning in a friendly atmosphere. We meet on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Hucclecote Rugby Club in Gloucester and at most meetings we have a top class demonstrator.
Resuming Live Demonstrations at Hucclecote
Yes, limited live demonstrations are now taking place with Zoom running in tandem. Please note numbers are limited to maintain social distancing and will fluctuate in line with the local COVID risk, so you need to pre-book your seat, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any changes to arrangements or restrictions will be announced in the monthly newsletter which comes out after the first Wednesday of the month.
We wish all members to stay safe and healthy and look forward to seeing you all at the earliest opportunity.
NEXT CLUB MEETING will be a ‘Hands On’ evening with a range of items from club members. Unfortunately with the rising numbers of COVID infections at the moment we have decided it would be safer if the January meeting is purely virtual. Hopefully we can get back to proper meetings soon! Zoom details are available on ‘members only‘ page and will be mailed out nearer the time.
LAST CLUB MEETING We welcomed Randy Lopez back via Zoom for our second Christmas demo from Florida. He demonstrated a ‘Square to round’ vase and although it was a week later than originally planned due to some IT gremlins in the States, it was well worth waiting for. There are links to the recording and the handout notes available from the members only page.
It is essential that your EMAIL ADDRESS IS UP TO DATE for you to receive the latest details from the club. This will include the log on details for each zoom demonstration. The details are also posted on the ‘members only‘ web page. If you’re not receiving your monthly newsletters than please check your ‘junk’ folder and if you still can’t find them then contact email@example.com
Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners – Latest NEWS
- The committee have reluctantly decided that January’s meeting should be a purely virtual event over Zoom given the current levels of COVID infections. We hope to return to physical meetings as soon as possible, but feel it would be unwise to risk adding to the current burden on the NHS at this time. We hope you will understand.
- This month’s meeting will be a showcase for member’s work, expected to feature (subject to availability) :
- Making a chess set
- Box making
- Hand cut threads
- A kaleidoscope (spell check is handy !!)
- The continuing story of David’s guitar – how far has he got with it ?
- Rudy’s video link is now available on the members only page.
- Andrew Turner has passed on the latest version of his ‘Woodturning Magazine’ index, available from the member’s pages. It is a searchable list of over 5000 articles published in 360 issues of Woodturning – there must be something in there you’d like to make !
- Rudy’s demo went ahead on 15th December and the handout sheet is now available to members. The video link hasn’t arrived yet, I’ll post a further update when it does.
- Sadly, Phil Hartwell, the club’s treasurer and long standing member has died. Our thoughts are with his family at this time.
There is a comprehensive guide to using zoom on any device here. If your device does not have a microphone or camera you can still watch – indeed you may want to turn off the camera and microphone anyway.
Alternatively, see what our members have been up to during lock-down with the Corona Gallery. If you’d like your work included in the next edition then please send some pictures and a description to Phil – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you downloaded any of these plans and turned the project?
How did it go? Can you send a photo for the gallery?
What other plans would you like to see here?
All plans are on the ‘free project plans’ page.
Please let us know.
The Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners ‘WhatsApp group’ is administered by Graham Ricketts, if you would like to be part of this group then Graham can be contacted via email email@example.com or mobile 07436 009288.
Members only page now has Chestnut finishing school information, not a complete list but pretty comprehensive.
Frampton Country fair September 2021
GAW proceeds from the Fair raised £456 for the Cotswold Prostrate Cancer Charity
BEGINNINGS IN TURNING
When Mike was still working five years ago he asked his daughter for a woodturning lesson as a Christmas present but then changed his mind, deciding it wasn’t such a good idea while he was still working. So instead she brought him a year’s membership for the Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners (GAW) and he has never looked back.
Want to know more then read the full article, click here ;- A Turning Journey
Toolite of Mitcheldean are one of GAW sponsors and offer all GAW members a discount of up to 10% on selected products. Please check prior to purchase. Take your membership badge as proof of GAW membership.