The Gloucestershire Association of Woodturners (GAW) was formed in 1991 when a few enthusiasts met to share a common interest. Today it has grown to over 120 members and attracts woodturners of all abilities from Gloucestershire and beyond. The GAW is a voluntary, non profit making organisation which exists to promote woodturning in a friendly atmosphere. The Association prides itself on having introduced many men and women to this interesting craft and the current membership includes turners of all skills and experience.
Original 1991 committee names as on the GAW shield.
Ed Atkinson, Don Browning, Chris Eagles. Peter Gearing, Danny Maloney,
Dave Martin, Mike Reynolds, Sue Tincello, Eric Walters & Tony Wilkins.
The GAW promotes Woodturning by:
- Attending local shows and demonstrating woodturning to the public thereby raising awareness of the craft.
- Providing basic training to beginners at dedicated hands-on sessions.
- Encouraging members to produce turned items and show them at monthly meetings.
- Arranging a stimulating programme of experienced Woodturners to demonstrate at monthly meetings and at all day seminars. This provides members with the opportunity to see and meet some famous names in the Woodturning world.
- Offering Wood and sundry materials to members at advantageous prices.
- Providing a DVD lending facility at no charge.
- Negotiating discount for members when purchasing tools and equipment
- Arranging visits from tool suppliers to the club giving members the opportunity to see and buy new products.
- Presenting members with new designs and techniques.
Furthermore the GAW is blessed with many experienced turners who are more than willing to help other members with various aspects of the craft.
Above all the Club tries to ensure members get enjoyment and satisfaction from the pursuit of Woodturning.
Where we meet
Hucclecote Rugby Football Club,
When do we meet?
Club nights are held on the 2nd Wednesday in the month.
Meetings start at 7.30pm